Washington State agency care coordinators (sometimes called case managers) are professionals who connect families with resources, services and support. Care coordinators may help develop a plan of care for your child, find resources such as transportation or nutrition services in your local community, or help you sign up for health insurance or other programs.

Washington State public agencies and the care coordinator roles:

Early Support for Infants and Toddlers (ESIT)ESIT provides care coordination for children birth to three who have developmental delay.

  • Family Resource Coordinators (FRC):  FRCs help families access all Part C of the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) services the child and family need as identified in the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and assist in coordinating early intervention services with other services needed by the child, such as medical care or durable medical equipment.Each county in Washington State has an FRC. To find who the lead FRC for your county, visit the Early Support for Infants and Toddlers (ESIT) Contacts Directory PDF.


Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA):  Aging and Disabilities Services Administration of the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services provides care coordination for any individual who has a developmental disability that starts before 18 years of age. Developmental disabilities include developmental delay, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism and other neurological conditions.

  • Developmental Disabilities Case Resource Managers:
    • Determines eligibility of the child for services.
    • Identifies needs.
    • Develops an Individual Support Plan (ISP) of care.
    • Monitors and coordinates service plans.
    • Provides resource information and referral services for the clients they serve.
    • To find out about eligibility for your child, contact your county DDA office or call the Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 and ask how to reach the DDA office in your county or area of the state.


Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI):  OSPI provides access to school nurse services for all students in public schools and maintains information on health services.

  • School Nurse:
    • Provides case management for children with special health care needs.
    • Screens students who may qualify and benefit from case management.
    • Provides leadership in interdisciplinary team meetings to plan services to meet the health and educational needs of students.
    • Implements the student’s individual health plan.
    • Coordinates continuity between school and home.
    • Monitors and evaluates the progress toward health and educational goals.
    • Trains and monitors personnel delegated to perform specific care for the student in the school setting.
    • If your child attends school in a large district such as Seattle, Northshore or Spokane contact the school district directly about available health services.


Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Coordinators: The Washington State Department of Health has CSHCN Coordinators located in each of the 34 health districts. The coordinators are generally public health nurses. They provide services to children birth to 18 years of age who reside in Washington State and who have or are at risk of having a serious physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who require health and related services beyond that generally required.

  • Children with Special Health Care Need Coordinator:
    • Helps families access needed services for their child such as medical care and treatments.
    • Refers families to health insurance programs and information.
    • Helps families find support through parent organizations.
    • Assists with concerns related to feeding, nutrition, growth and development.
    • Provides screening and assessment services.
    • Contact your local health department and ask to speak with the CSHCN coordinator.


Mental Health:  All children and youth with Medicaid can get a mental health assessment through a community mental health agency and can receive other needed services. To find a service location, call the Behavioral Health Organization (BHO) that serves your county. If you live in Clark or Skamania county, you will not have a BHO to administer to administer behavioral health services. In these counties, the Apple Health plans will contract for services. You should contact your Apple Health plan directly to request treatment. For more information, call Apple Health Customer Service at 1-800-562-3022.

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get right back to you.