Resources can be enormously helpful and, yet at times, they can be overwhelming. As a place to begin, here are a few reliable ones you may find useful.
- Checklist for Transition to Adult Healthcare – Created by parents for families to know what to expect and how to prepare.
- The teen section of this website – Information to build communication and self advocacy skills, keep track of their own medical information, and more.
- Quiz for Youth: Are You Ready to Transition to Adult Health Care? – Youth and young adults can take this quiz from Got Transition to find out how ready they are to transition to adult care. The quiz asks about major issues important during transition years. It also gives tips and resources, including how to add their medical information to their smartphone, what legal changes happen at 18, and how to sign up for health insurance.
- Got Transition? – The National Health Care Transition Center’s website offers 30-minute radio shows on relevant transition topics. Past episodes include: Paving the Way to Adult Healthcare; Healthcare Transition & College – It Doesn’t Have to be Learned the Hard Way; and Before a Dr’s visit: From Panic to Prepared. Episodes are co-led by a young adult with special health care needs and a parent.
- Planning for Healthy Transitions – Includes worksheets, transition timeline, age based tips and self-assessments.