Understand what is being expected:
Questions to consider include:
- What is the purpose and format of the meeting or event?
- When and where will it be and how long is the commitment?
- Who will be there and what is important to know about them?
- What would be your role?
- How should you prepare?
- Who would be your contact?
- Is this important to me and is it something I want to do?
- Will this work for me?
- Do I have something to offer on the topic?
- Do I have enough perspective on our family’s situation to effectively discuss the topic?
- How comfortable am I talking about my child and family?