Find opportunities to become a family advisor
Interested in becoming a family advisor? It makes sense to start looking for opportunities by contacting people and organizations that you know to learn about what opportunities might exist:
- Ask other parents about ways to get involved.
- Let your child’s health care providers, teachers, therapists and community service providers know you are interested in getting involved.
- Contact community based organizations (ie. Parent-to-Parent, Father’s Network, Medical Home Leadership Network).
- Talk with diagnosis specific organizations like the Epilepsy Foundation or Autism Speaks.
- Look for opportunities at the Center for Children with Special Needs through Support Our Work.
Once you have found an opportunity in a family advising role, it is important to decide if it is the right opportunity for you.