Having a child with special needs can be a challenge. You may feel confused or overwhelmed, but there are organizations and individuals who can help you. Here is a list of some that may be of help.

Who to contact for guidance:

  • Public Health Nurses (PHN)  PHNs work in local health departments. They can answer questions about your child’s health, growth and development and help you find local resources.
  • Family Resource Coordinators (FRC) – FRCs provide information about child growth and development, coordinate resources and services for your family, and find screening for your child if you have concerns about his or her development.
  • Health Care Providers include doctors, nurses, therapists, or social workers who can tell you about available services and resources and help coordinate your child’s care.
  • People at Your Child’s School including teachers, school nurses, counselors, or therapists can help your child with medications, equipment, therapies and homework. If your child goes to a private school, you can still get help from the public school system.
  • Other Parents – can tell you about their experiences, give you tips, tell you about helpful providers, and give you hope.  Parent to Parent and The Fathers Network are two parent-run organizations that provide emotional and informational support to parents.
  • WithinReach ASK (Answers for Special Kids) Family Health Hotline – The WithinReach ASK (Answers for Special Kids) Family Health Hotline may also be able to help if you live in Washington State. They can be reached at 1-800-322-2588.

Related Links:

Contact Us

Send us an email and we'll get right back to you.

Not readable? Change text.