Guide to Washington State Care Coordinator Roles

Printer-friendly versionSend to friend

Washington State agency care coordinators (sometimes called case managers) are professionals who connect families with resources, services and support. Care coordinators may help develop a plan of care for your child, find resources such as transportation or nutrition services in your local community, or help you sign up for health insurance or other programs.

Washington State public agencies and the care coordinator roles are listed below:

  • Early Support for Infants and Toddlers (ESIT), provides care coordination for children birth to three who have developmental delay.

    Family Resource Coordinators (FRC):
    Helps families access all Part C of the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) services the child and family need as identified in the Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and assist in coordinating early intervention services with other services needed by the child, such as medical care or durable medical equipment. Each county in Washington State has an FRC.

    To find who the lead FRC for your county, visit the Early Support for Infants and Toddlers (ESIT) Contacts Directory PDF.


  • Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD), Aging and Disabilities Services Administration of the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services provides care coordination for any individual who has a developmental disability that starts before 18 years of age.

    Developmental disabilities include mental retardation, developmental delay, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, autism and other neurological conditions.

    Developmental Disabilities Case Resource Managers: 
    Determines eligibility of the child for services, identify needs, develop an Individual Support Plan (ISP) of care, monitor and coordinate service plans, and provide resource information and referral services for the clients they serve.

    To find out about eligibility for your child, contact your county DDD office or call the Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 and ask how to reach the DDD office in your county or area of the state.


  • Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) provides access to school nurse services for all students in public schools and maintains information on health services for a.

    School Nurse:
    Provides case management for children with special health care needs, screens students who may quality and benefit from case management, provides leadership in interdisciplinary team meetings to plan services to meet the health and educational needs of students, implements the student’s individual health plan, coordinates continuity between school and home, monitors and evaluates the progress toward health and educational goals, and trains and monitors personnel delegated to perform specific care for the student in the school setting.

    If your child attends school in a large district such as Seattle, Northshore, or Spokane contact the school district directly about available health services.


    • Children with Special Health Care Needs Program, Washington State Department of Health has Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Coordinators (generally public health nurses) who are located in each of the 34 health jurisdictions throughout Washington State.

      They provide services to children birth to 18 years of age who reside in Washington State and who have or are at risk of having a serious physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who require health and related services beyond that generally required.

      Children with Special Health Care Need Coordinator:
      Helps families access needed services for their child such as medical care and treatments, refers families to health insurance programs and information, helps families find support through parent organizations, assists with concerns related to feeding, nutrition, growth and development, and provides screening and assessment services.

      Contact your local health department and ask to speak with the CSHCN coordinator.


  • Mental Health Division, Washington State Department of Social and Health Services maintains county-based Regional Support Networks (RSN) as part of the public mental health system and mental health providers are located within each RSN.

    Medicaid eligible children or youth who demonstrate medical necessity and meet other qualifications, receive outpatient mental health services.

    Mental Health Provider: 
    Provides services such as intake evaluation, development of an individualized service plan (ISP), brief intervention or treatment to the individual (child), and/or family, crisis services, medication management and monitoring, and therapeutic psycho-education.

    To find a mental health provider in your community, visit the Regional Support Networks (RSNs) Services Information or call the Healthy Family Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 and ask about the RSN in your county or area of the state.