Linkages is a newsletter for professionals who work with children who have ongoing health conditions or disabilities.
Traumatic Brain Injury
TBI-Resources for Schools:
- Returning to School After a Traumatic Brain Injury: (Spanish) How TBI affects students including physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioral changes and how schools can support students with TBI. From the University of Washington Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center.
TBI-Resources for Parents:
- List of TBI resources for Washington families: Includes TBI organizations, support, financial resources and research.
Fact sheets from the University of Washington Model Systems Knowledge
- Translation Center: What happens to the brain during injury and in the early stages (Spanish)
- Brain injury impact on functioning (Spanish)
- The recovery process (Spanish)
- Fatigue and Traumatic Brain Injury
Concussion – Resources for schools:
- Returning to School After a Concussion for School Professionals
Use this guide to understand a concussion’s potential effects on students and appropriate management of the return-to-school process.
- Acute Concussion Evaluation (ACE)
School Care Plan for returning to school after an acute concussion. From the Head’s Up concussion resources for professionals from the Centers for Disease Control.
- Concussion Fact Sheet for School Nurses:
How to recognize a concussion, symptoms that students may report, danger signs, what to do when a student comes to you with a head injury and ideas for starting a concussion action plan at your school.
- Concussion signs and symptoms checklist(Spanish)
From the CDC’s HEADS Up campaign, can be used to monitor a student with a head injury
- Know Your Concussion ABC’s poster
Developed by CDC and the National Association of School Nurses (NASN).