Linkages is a newsletter for professionals who work with children who have ongoing health conditions or disabilities.
Supporting Children During Procedures And Hospital Visits
- Pain assessment tool: Age appropriate pain assessment scales to use with infants, toddlers, preschoolers and older children.
- Pain pain go away: Booklet for parents on pain management, treatment of procedure related pain, psychological and physical methods for dealing with pain, medicines and postoperative pain.
- Pokes and procedures sample care plan: Sample care plan to use with pediatric patients for procedures and pain management. Covers preferred comfort measures, position, distraction and more. (Spanish version)
Coping and Support Resources
- All about me: Information for children with special needs to fill out for their providers. Patients take with them and hang in their room.Spanish version)
- Comfort measures and tips: Age appropriate distraction ideas, environmental measures, positioning techniques and language for child friendly explanations.
- Blood draw visual aide: Visual communication tool to use for reducing anxiety. Helpful with young and English-as-a-second-language patients, and those with special needs including autism.
- Helping your child take medicine (Spanish version)
Nursing Continuing Education Video: Helping Children Cope
Video featuring Child Life Specialist Joanne Wetzler from Seattle Children’s Hospital covers:
- Recognizing medical procedure and care stressors for children at each developmental level
- Using internal and external coping techniques with children
- Communication strategies for effective teamwork and patient safety
Watch live nursing grand rounds webcasts the first Thursday of the month, 12-1pm from your computer.
View past sessions in the online video library.