Find information and tips for a variety of different diagnoses and situations such as car safety, water safety, fire safety, and playground safety.
- View our playground safety tips to find general safety tips, resources, and information about ADA accessibility for playgrounds for parents, caregivers, and professionals.
- Safe Kids USA’s Fire Safety for Children with Special Needs has videos and information on fire prevention for children who are immobile, have visual or hearing loss, or cognitive impairment.
- Safe Kids USA’s Burn Prevention for Children with Special Needs
- View Seattle Children’s Water Safety for Children with Seizures Fact Sheet in English, Spanish, or Vietnamese.
Car Seat Safety
- Safety Belt Safe provides a quick reference list of car restraints for children with special needs.
- The National Center for Safe Transportation offers information on car seats for children with special needs.
- Helpful tips on how to help your child stay in their car seat from Safety Belt Safe.
- Some manufacturers of specialized car seats and restraints for children with special needs:
- University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute offers vehicle safety tips for people who use wheelchairs.
- The National Center for Safe Transportation offers transportation tips by medical condition.
Safety Tips by Diagnosis
Medical Alert Jewlery
Sharing medical information with first responders and emergency department staff is key to proper and prompt patient care. Children who are non-verbal or have special health needs are at greatest risk of delayed treatment in an emergency situation. A great way to share health information with medical professionals is through medical ID bracelets or jewelry. In addition to the standard stainless medical ID bracelets, there are other options that can store your child’s information.
What information should be on the bracelet? (From Seattle Children’s)
- Your child’s diagnosis or health condition (such as diabetes, seizure disorder, bleeding disorder, hearing loss, etc.)
- Your child’s name
- Any drug or food allergies your child may have
- Name and phone number for one or two emergency contacts
Where can I purchase a medical alert jewelry?
- American Medical ID
- Fifty50 Medical(diabetes)
- Lauren’s Hope
- MedicAlert Foundation
- Sticky Jewelry